Wednesday, December 5, 2012


Last night, Robbie & Kyle and I went to dinner at the Arrogant Texan, a restaurant on University Av that serves BBQ.  Technically, I’d never been there to eat although they catered a luncheon at work one day and I went there to pick it up.  The boys had not been there.  It’s a nice little restaurant and bar that has a really cute, Texas-y decor with wood and lone stars and a lot of wood.  The place was clean and they were playing Johnny Cash music.  The BBQ and potato salad were good.  And around the wall is an old fashioned candy and ice cream shoppe.  If you want wax lips, Cherry mashes and candy necklaces, this is your place!!  The 3 of us shared a sundae.
After dinner, we went to the Allen Theater on the Tech Campus to see Marc Cohn, a somewhat off the beaten path singer and songwriter whose biggest hit is ‘Walking in Memphis’, a great song that reminds me of my time walking in Memphis and made famous by the country group Lonestar.  And I really loved Marc’s version and his story behind the song.   I have to admit that while I knew of that song, I had never really heard anything else he’d ever done.  But the price was right and it was a chance for a night out with the boys so we all went for it.  And I have to say I’m glad!    I had called earlier in the week to see if we could get tickets at the door (cheap me, to save the $3 per ticket Select-A-Seat charge) and it was a good thing we did!!   All 3 of us were given tickets for free!!   Seating was not reserved but there were many good seats available.  He had a several fans there who knew the songs and some of us who were there for new music and none of us left disappointed.   His backup band consisted of a really talented guitarist and keyboardist.  Marc played piano and guitar also.    The acoustics in the theater are not great and sometimes the music overwhelmed the singing but not too badly.  And after the show, he had a CD signing but Barnes & Noble did not bring many CD’s so there were none.  He did sign programs and take pictures though

Which brings us to the bad picture and chicken neck.  I cannot, for the life of me, take a good picture.  I have never been the pretty girl but what happens is that I am always caught with a goofy look on my face to add to it. I am actually more open to pictures now that although I am still a chunky I am way less than before.  Mark Cohn, however, probably never takes a bad picture.  So, in the spirit of laughter, here is our picture.  Check out the chicken neck!! 

This getting old thing is getting old!!

~~Originally posted faux blog on Nov 11, 2012~~

No comments: