Sunday, October 3, 2010

30 day blog Day 3 Favorite television program

Wow, another hard choice.

I loved 'Quantum Leap' & 'Sisters' but my number 1 winner is 'Homicide, Life on the Streets'.    I have to qualify that probably only seasons 1-5, the Pembleton years.  After he left, the cases were good but the acting went way, way down hill.

Set in a Baltimore police detective squad room, we met Pembleton, Bayless, Lewis, Kellerman, Crocetti, Bolander, Russert, Howard, Felton, G and of course, Munch.   We watched their lives, we watched them live and die and we watched them do the best the could to solve crime in the city they all loved.  I don't remember if it was all of them but I know most grew in Baltimore, their dads working hard to make sure they had better lives.  They were guys that saw the futility of what they were doing and still came to work every day to "speak for the dead".   There were guys--and 1 girl, at the beginning, Kay Howard--of all ages and experiences who brought a unique perspective to a job that would eat you alive if you let it.  The first 5 years, the scripts were good, the acting brilliant.  Sadly it went on too long.  Too many losses of a good cast and the addition of of...whatever...not good.  I've got the set on DVD and when I want to watch brilliance, I put them in the dvd player.

No comments: