Friday, October 1, 2010

30 day blog Day 1 Favorite Songs

I stole this from another blog because I need to write and I cannot always think of what to write about.  




Day 1  - your favorite song 

This one is kinda hard....I like 2 for different reasons.


1st would be 'I Just Can't Help Believin' by B J Thomas.  I love his voice, always have.   I love it because he's a man in love.     It came out in the most impressionable musical time of my life, 40 years ago when I got the 1st radio that belonged just to me.    I saw him in concert twice, once in college when he was on a gospel tour and then just a few years ago at the Cactus Theater where I happened to read on Sunday afternoon that he was going to be there that night.   I went alone and while standing in line, a man gave me a ticket and it was a great seat.    He has been through a lot, drugs and what he calls a lot of wild and crazy times.   It shows in his face.  But his voice was still strong, beautiful.   I remember him saying, as he started 'Dont Worry Baby' that if he'd known he was going to live this long, he'd have recorded it in a lower key.  


Here is a Youtube link to a live performance.   He makes it look effortless.   And is possibly wearing someone else's pants.  But... Amazing.


I Just Cant Help Believin


2nd would be 'Amazing Grace'     An amazingly simple song with an amazingly simple message.


Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.
That saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost but now I'm found,
Was blind but now I see.


Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.


Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come
Tis grace that brought me safe thus far
And grace will lead me home


When I've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun


Does anything else have to be said about that?

No comments: