Thursday, August 5, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

I have been on a mini quest to try to use veggies that I don't normally eat and expand my veggie horizon.  Today I made Eggplant Parmesan.  The recipe was really simple and really good:

1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into slices
2 T olive oil
1 clove of garlic (something I've never bought and did not have.  I used 1 tsp of garlic powder)
 
I mixed the oil & garlic and then used my handy dandy new Williams Sonoma baster and basted onto each side of the eggplant and put on a greased cookie sheet in 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.   Then I turned them over and cooked for 5 minutes more.    I had 8 slices

Then I lowered temperature in oven to 350 degrees & put 4 slices into a greased baking dish.  Then i put just a little parmesan  on the eggplant & topped with a slice of fresh tomato.   I added a little salt & pepper, some more parmesan and then another slice of eggplant, then a little mozzarella.   I covered and cooked for 20 minutes, then uncovered and cooked another 5 minutes.   It was yummy.

Next time--and there definitely be one--I need to slice my tomatoes a little more evenly and maybe meet up with real garlic.   And I think maybe a piece of prosciutto might add a little pop.  


Next stop?   Spaghetti squash

No comments: