Monday, June 18, 2012

Ok, this one is going to be a rant--Roger Clemens not guilty

Today, Roger Clemens, legendary Yankee pitcher was found not guilty of lying to congress about taking steroids while playing baseball.  I don't care much for the Yankees.  My opinion is that with their payroll, they should win every game.  And Rog graduated from the evil empire, the University of Texas, a school I hate beyond reason.  But I did not think he actually used steroids although he had a long and unexplained career of wins.  Lots of people did use them...people who will be judged in Cooperstown someday.   My rant does not involve the verdict but 8 weeks of trial and 46 witnesses in a trial being paid for with taxpayer dollars for something that should have been handled in house at MLB.

I love baseball.  I like watching grown men play a little boys game and I love a good team (read: Rangers) but more than that I love fairness and honesty.  I want to see someone amazing (Rog) go against someone else amazing (Josh) on a level playing field, head to head and I like to see the Rangers come out on top.  Not exactly biased.  And I hate when someone like Barry Bonds or Mark McGuire juice up and break records set by people who did it without the help.    And I don't think if you were on steroids that should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame.  That is a place for honest players.

But I do object to these hearings in congress.  I love America and believe in the goodness of our nation.  But the truth is, we are in trouble.  Our government has basically sold our souls to China.  We owe more money than we will ever be able to repay.  The Democrats and Republicans cannot agree on what color the grass is right now.  We have a military spread way to thin right now and that scares me a little.  Our country is going to have to learn we cannot be everything to everyone, not anymore.   People have lost jobs in America, the housing industry is in shambles and children in this country go to bed hungry and that's just wrong.   There are so many things that need to be fixed that something like trials about steroids in baseball (this was the 2nd trial for RC, first ended in a mistrial) make me absolutely crazy.

I don't know what the answer is but I hope that someday this little dysfunctional congress--Dems and Reps--alike are soon out on their bohines wondering what the heck happened with their re-elections.  I don't know if Mitt Romney is the answer but I haven't see much of the change promised in the last election.  I do know that sooner or later someone will have to answer for the state our country is in.  I hope it gets fixed somehow, someday



No comments: