Thursday, March 1, 2012

It's a sad day...Davy Jones dies...Hey, hey we're the Monkees

Hey, hey, they're the Monkees!!  Mickey, Davy, Peter, Mike 1966

Davy, no date but recently.  Still a cutie.
In 1966, I was 9 and living in Bagdad on Juniper Street.  That year, The Monkees walked into my TV and although I was not the biggest fan, into my life.

Davy, Mickey, Peter & Mike were goofy guys who all strangely lived together, had strange adventures and managed to break into song at least once every episode.  The show was a big hit and they went on to record some really catchy songs like 'Daydream Believer' and 'Last Train to Clarksville'.   These guys were the first "teen idols" in my life.  They--and especially Davy--were on the cover of Tiger Beat and Fave and we gobbled up every tidbit about all their lives, or what we were fed was their lives--and some daydreamed about meeting them and falling in love, much now like a Jonas brother or Justin Bieber.  Like I said, not me, because my heart belonged to another...Bobby Sherman...a couple of years later.  I don't remember actually being in love at age 9.   I remember Davy, like Bobby, married a girl and hid it so it would not spoil their images.  Married teen idols lose a little luster.  Oddly, for some reason, I remember Davy being on 'The Danny Thomas Show'' as a teen idol who hid his wife and DT telling him that if he was sure of his talent, he could handle the scandal of being married.  It was kind of a surreal moment as I'm sure it was meant to be.

Davy died yesterday at the age of 66.  He left behind his 3rd wife who I saw with him one day on Dr Phil and who seemed to nag his ass beyond reason, and 4 daughters.   His death, at such a young age, (trust me, the closer we get to it, the younger it seems!! ) stunned a generation.  For me, not even the biggest fan, it is a piece of childhood and innocence that is lost.    And it makes me really sad.   RIP Davy!!

No comments: