Monday, June 28, 2010

Manners and Tact

I don't like conflict.  Anyone who knows me knows that.   I normally just walk away with my feelings hurt instead of telling someone they hurt my feelings.   It doesn't happen very often.  I try not to take things to seriously and that attitude has served me well.   But sometimes...

Today I tried a recipe that I'd never tried before.  I had made some modifications to lower the fat in it and it was, frankly, not the best thing I'd ever tasted.  So I asked my neighbor, a pretty good cook, to taste it and see if she could diagnose a way to make it better.  She took one bite, spit it in the garbage, poured the entire bowl in the garbage and proceeded to tell me it was horrible.  It was not good but not horrible.    She then went on and on about how 'horrible' it was.  

My friend is from New York and we all know that New Yorkers have no manners or tact.  How is that for a generalization?   Possibly untrue but you cannot prove it by me.  I know we were raised differently.  When someone gives me something I don't like, normally I thank them politely, get rid of the evidence and if pushed tell them it was not my cup of tea.   This friend has brought stuff to my house that I don't particularly like but I have never and would never do what she did to me today.    I am not from New York, thank goodness, and do have both manners and tact.

I am an ok cook...it's normally my experiments that tend to get a little iffy but this friend has, in the past, turned her nose up at everything I've ever made.   I know I cook mostly southern food but I make an amazing chocolate pie and amazing ginger cookies if I do say so myself.

Just the art of writing this answers my questions.  No more exchanging of foods.  Period.  That way my feelings won't be hurt over the situation.  

No comments: