Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010 Alamo Bowl


We have had drama this week. Our beloved, yet strange, Coach Mike Leach was fired by Texas Tech and the fan base is outraged. I am outraged. He disciplined a player whose dad works for ESPN and who filed a complaint & the university administration used it as an excuse to get rid of someone they did not like. They could not get rid of him during contract negotiations and when this deal came up, they jumped on it. Suspension without investigation. Fired on December 31. If he'd made it through the day, Tech would have had to pay him an $800,000 bonus. But he didn't make it through the day. Now we have blogs and covert emails and conspiracy rumors out the wazoo and the University will end up paying him a lot more than that bonus amount for how this was handled.
The administration does not understand what they have done. Oh, they got rid of a man who gave them the respect they deserved. And they set a football program back decades. We were on the map and are sadly going to spiral down in a hurry. And they took the hope from Tech fans. For years, I expected Tech to be the one on their faces in the end zone, the football inches out of reach. It took a while but Coach Leach finally had me at a point where I could think "we are 3 touchdowns behind but we have 5 minutes...we could win!!". He showed me we could. He made me believe and I liked that. I liked the excitement for Tech football, the buzz around town. And it's gone.

I hope we can get it back. The angry fans are going to let their ire be seen...in ticket sales, in donations to the University. I won't be paying as long as this administration is gone. And the administration is going to be shaking their clueless little heads wondering what happened.

I love Tech football. You can see by previous posts over the years how much. Leach is gone. I want this to heal. I want our team to do well. Guns up Red Raiders...lets kick Michigan State Spartan butt!!!

No comments: