Wednesday, December 18, 2013

It's a Wonderful Life

I've seen it about 100 times.  It's on TV practically every day.  I can stream it on Netflix 24/7.  I own it on DVD.  And on Sunday, I went to the theater to see it on the big screen and it was about the coolest thing I've ever seen.   I had asked my friend John if he wanted to go and he laughed and said no.  He also said it would only be girls but he was wrong.  I saw several men there.  Granted, none were alone or with other guys.  Basically, their girls drug them, but they were there.

This movie was made in 1947 and was mostly a critical and financial failure.  Jimmy Stewart is George Bailey, a man from a small town with big dreams of seeing the world.  His dad owns the Bailey Savings & Loan, a small bank that today would be a credit union.  His father's sudden death delays his plans of college as George takes over the business to keep it open.  Without the Savings & Loan, the only person loaning money is evil Mr Potter.  George stays and sends his brother to college.  The plan is that brother Harry will come back and take over the business but Harry ends up with better offers.  George's marriage to Mary, the great depression, babies and extended family obligations keep George in town. getting by, not getting rich. Then his uncle loses $8000 and George fears he faces jail over the missing money.  He goes to Potter who laughs him out of his office and tells George he is worth more dead than alive.  In desperation, George thinks of suicide.  But George has many praying for him--Mary & his kids, his mom, childhood friends, people whose lives he's touched over the years and God sends Clarence, an angel out to earn his wings, to save George.  Clarence's plan is to show George what it would be like if he was never born.  Harry had died in an accident because George was not there to save him.  Many men died on a ship because Harry was not there to save them.  Their mom had to take in boarders.  Childhood friend Violet was a prostitute (implied only of course).  Mr Gower the druggist was a drunk.  The local bar was owned by a thug.  Mary was the town librarian.  George had made all of their lives better and Clarence finally makes George realize that.  He decides he wants to live after all and goes home to face the music.  When he gets there, the bank examiner and the sheriff are waiting but George is so happy to see his family that he doesn't care.  Then a miracle happens...all of his friends come to his rescue.  Not one has $8000 but his friends come together to raise it.  Harry salutes his big brother George, the richest man in town.  And Clarence gets his wings!!

I almost know the story by heart and there were scenes where I had tears in my eyes.  The movie was even more powerful on the large screen.  And at the end, people in the theater were cheering so I thing they agreed.  I remember seeing a movie that had Martin Landau as an old theater owner and about his theater he asked, why would people want to stay home and watch a box when they could come here?    I know sometimes that the theater is not the coolest place...cell phones, crying babies, too much crap before the show...but I actually agree with Martin here.  I still love it and I especially loved seeing this movie on Sunday.


No comments: