Saturday, April 10, 2010

Elton John: He's still got it.

A couple of months ago, it was announced that 'Sir Elton' would be at the United Spirit Arena for the 2nd time.  I'd wanted to see him the 1st time, 10 years ago but could not get tickets.  I'd heard his show was fabulous and was disappointed but figured I'd have my chance again some day.

I don't remember the price of the tickets when they went on sale but it was more than I was willing to pay.  I'd paid about $90 for the Eagles a few years back and that was definitely my limit and worth every dime.  In the boxes of my mind, EJ did not fit into that high of a price range.  I used my 98 Kool points and entered the raffle and, of course, did not win.  But then something strange happened.  My friend Jan has a pesky stalker and he bought her tickets and taped them to her door, no doubt thinking she'd be grateful enough to take him.  She wasn't ...she took me!!   I'm sure glad she did!!

He started about 815...15 minutes after ticket listed show time but well before everyone showed up.  Annoying people, crawling over you at 845!!!    No opening act.  No intermission.  Just almost 2 1/2  hours of great music.    I admit I don't listen to 'pop' music much but there was a time when I did and he was definitely a blast from the past.

He introduced his band and his drummer, a scary looking man in a pink shirt who seemed to know exactly when the camera was on him, has been his drummer since 1969.  WOW!!!  For more than 40 years,
this has been their lives.  And , they still got it!!!

I have to wonder how many 'Rocket Man' coats he has?  Does he get them at the Porter Waggoner store?

I have no musical ability except to sing loudly, off key, but am amazed at talent like his.  Of course the cameras focus on his hands and the entire thing just boggles my mind.  He is obviously brilliant and I have to wonder if he knows the sound that comes out of every key on that piano.    My overworked word of the day is amazing and it just fits.

I had my camera but he was an ant in a spotlight so nothing really came out.  The AJ has some pictures and I emailed the photog to see if I could use them and it's early, of course, so I have not heard back from him.  If he says no, that's ok...they are on the AJ website at www.lubbockonline.com .

I'm thinking I may go back to bed...


Edited to add picture.  My friend Caleb took it at the concert and sent it from his cell phone.  I do love technology.    It's a pretty good picture!!!   The nice kid from the AJ told me that company policy said I could not use his pictures so I didn't.

No comments: