Thursday, October 16, 2008

Loving the Movies

Tonight my niece is here with her 2 kids and they'd never seen a drive-in before so tonight they went to see 'Beverly Hills Chihuahua' at the drive in.

When I was a little girl, drive-ins were all we had. It was only open in the summertime and they only showed Disney and Elvis movies where we lived. We would be in our PJ's and we'd get to go on Friday night with Mom and sometimes even Daddy. We'd pull up and put the little speaker thingy on our window and the person on the speaker side would get blasted because the rest of us could not hear too well. We tried to get there early to get snacks because we did not want to miss any of the movie. And we hated, hated, hated the bathroom, possibly the original place we all learned to hover. But, dang, it was a good time!!

Later in life, I'd get to go to my sister Cathy's house in Flagstaff and I'd get to go to the indoor theater. I remember seeing 'Dumbo' and an Elvis movie where he was an Indian, something like 'Navajo Joe'. She never went with me, she'd just drop me off and pick me up. Those movies were the highlight of my summer.

Even now I love to go to the theater. A few years ago, there was a movie called 'The Majestic' with Jim Carrey in it. I don't remember all of it but remember Martin Landau playing his father who owned a old movie theater (the Majestic) and he had a line that asked "Why would people want to stay home watching a box when they can come here?". The theater experience is certainly not the days of old. We now have overpriced tickets, overpriced snacks, people who think it's appropriate to bring 3 year olds to R rated movies, cell phones, gabbers & commercials. But I still love it when the lights go down and the previews start. It still has a little magic.

No comments: