Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The changing face of America

NBC is doing a series on their nightly news this week about the changing face of America. Tonight they were saying that the fasting growing segment is the children of immigrants. It showed a young man who was born in the US to parents who spoke limited English so he now has to do everyday things for them like talk to their doctors and deal with service people, a responsibility all of his friends did not have. It was an interesting piece. I talk to people every day who have moved here to pursue their American dream. Some I can communicate with easily and some are not so easy. And lots of them put their teenage kids on the phone to finish up their business. I am a minor part of their day...they have a big responsability.

In January we went to Las Vegas and our cab driver was from Romania. What a nice guy. We were talking about where he was from and how long he'd been here (2 years) and why Las Vegas. I loved his answer. He told me that when he got here his family got off the plane with 2 suitcases each. He chose Las Vegas because it was a place where if you were willing to work hard you could make money. They had enough for a couple months rent and nothing else when they got here. They had to buy furniture, clothes, transportation, kitchen stuff, linens, everything. I cannot imagine starting over like that. He now said his kids--2 teenage boys--are fitting right into American culture....liking American football instead of soccer and they are huge Red Sox fans. His son wanted an ipod for his birthday. This man drove a cab 12 hours a day 6 days a week and his wife had a different job--don't remember what-- that she did the same hours. Both were willing to do this without question so their sons would have opportunities they never had. I was sorry for our ride to end but I liked the man very much. I gave him a big tip. :)

I can't say I don't have any prejudice...like the movie Crash points out, we all do. Everytime I call tech support form my dsl and get Habib it comes out big time. Everytime I have to point at my toes to communicate pedicure at the nail shop i get annoyed. But I fight against it every day and now my nail person knows what I want when I come in so hopefully I will keep trying to become a better person.

On a funny note, on Ugly Betty last week Amanda was saying she always called her credit card company after hours so she'll get someone in India because they are nicer to her. She was telling the guy on the phone if she paid her bill, she couldn't pay her rent and if she could not pay her rent then where would he send her bill?

No comments: