Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thin Mints & Potter's Field

I can't say I learn something new everyday but at least in the last 2 days I have.  It's certainly not brain surgery but it's going in the right direction I guess.

1.   I bought Girl Scout Cookies yesterday, Thin Mints.  The box says "Crispy chocolate wafers dipped in a mint chocolaty coating".  I always thought the mint was in the cookies, not the coating.  Eat and learn.




2.  Potter's Field--I learned this from the Untouchables.  I knew that Potter's field was where the indigent and unclaimed were buried.   But I found out today, from federal agent Lee Hobson that the origin is from the bible.  When Judas returned the 30 pieces of silver he received for betraying Jesus, the priests would not keep the blood money and instead bought "potter's field" to be a burying place for strangers.
Then Judas, who betrayed him, seeing that he was condemned, repenting himself, brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and ancients, saying: "I have sinned in betraying innocent blood." But they said: "What is that to us? Look thou to it." And casting down the pieces of silver in the temple, he departed, and went and hanged himself with a halter. But the chief priests, having taken the pieces of silver, said: "It is not lawful to put them into the corbona, because it is the price of blood." And after they had consulted together, they bought with them the potter's field, to be a burying place for strangers. For this the field was called Haceldama, that is, the field of blood, even to this day ~~ Matthew 27: 3-8


Different, but both interesting...

No comments: