Sunday, August 19, 2012

Baked Ziti



1 package of ziti, cooked to box directions. 
1 T olive oil
1 onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 lb of hamburger meat
1 large jar of meatless spaghetti sauce
1 cup of beef broth  
pepper
Emeril's Essence Seasoning
2 cups of mozzarella cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese

Cook onion in olive oil until clear, add garlic, cook for another minute.  Brown meat in onion and garlic.  Be sure to drain the meat.  Add spaghetti sauce, broth, salt, pepper and season salt to season.  Put 1 cup of the sauce into the ziti and mix.  

Pam a 9x13 pan, put a little sauce in the bottom to cover, then layer 1/2 ziti, 1/2 sauce, 1/2 cheese, repeat, holding out just a little cheese to put on top.  Cook covered in 350 oven for 20 minutes.  Then uncover, add remaining cheese on top and brown.   Let it set for a few minutes before serving.


The original recipe called for chicken broth...why would I put chicken stock in a beef meal?   It also called for onion powder and garlic powder.  I had neither and both were in big bottles for about $4.00 each and I did not find it worth the $$ as I would probably not use much of it, ever.   And I had the Emeril's Seasoning and I figured how could I go wrong?  It's EMERIL!!  But I figure that any kind of season salt in moderation will work.  So basically, I followed a recipe sorta but then substituted what I had.  And the truth is, it's pretty good!!  I seriously think the secret is the beef broth.  It made it juicier and I think it will be even better reheated, as a lot of pasta is.

It makes a lot....I put 3 servings in the freezer, am taking 4 servings to school tomorrow to feed my posse and sent 2 servings home with John.  And they are big servings.  I'll probably half the recipe next time but the first time is full force recipe time for sure.

Thanks to Budget Savvy Diva for the recipe!!



No comments: