Monday, May 28, 2012

Loved San Francisco and the Rangers









Every other day or so I look at the website of the funeral home of my hometown just to see what's what.  They don't get the Lubbock paper delivered in Spur anymore so the expensive obits don't always appear in the Lubbock paper.

Today, there is an obit of a man I don't know but from reading it I learned that he married "the love of his life" and loved his family and going to the state fair and fishing and the Cowboys.  He'd been a farm hand all of his life and loved John Wayne movies.  He and his love had 7 children.  He was 71.  I kinda feel like I knew him now!  Not something you'd find in a big city newspaper but it's just right for Spur.

He was probably a man who worked hard and never went far from home.   Some would say a sad, wasted life.   But I wonder if he felt the same?  Probably not.  See, if you can find joy in the simple things--family, fishing, football--you may actually have more than a person who has all the money in the world.  Let's just guess who was happier:  This farm hand or Lindsey Lohan?

I have traveled a little more.  Nothing big mind you--never out of the country unless you count Nuevo Laredo.  I've been to Las Vegas and Miami and San Francisco.  All nice places to visit but I'm always ready to leave when it's time and come home, to my little house, to Judge Judy on the DVR and the Rangers on TV.  So I guess when it's time for me to go, they can write that I loved the Rangers and I loved San Francisco.  Maybe add that I missed my family after they were all gone and was a good friend.  I think it's all I can ask for realistically.


No comments: