Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October 17 is Haboob Day!!

haboob (Arabic:"هَبوب", "strong wind") is a type of intense duststorm carried on an atmospheric gravity current.   


Yesterday about 545, we had an official Haboob in Lubbock!!   I was sitting in my house, listening to the wind howl and watching the puny dust go by when all of a sudden it was almost completely dark and the wind kicked up and  I looked out to see this:


1 block from my house   10-17-2011


I did not take this picture but this was the sight out my back door.  It went on for a few minutes and blew on somewhere else.  The weatherman said they had a wind gust st the station of 74.   I have never seen anything like this and others interviewed in the paper from the Dust Bowl area said they had not seen anything like it since 1935.  It left as fast as it came but it was a doozy of a dust storm!!

No comments: