Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Budget Crisis

Everyone except Donald Trump appears to be in one.  I paid $3.62 a gallon for gasoline, a cool $50 out of my pocket.  Groceries are going up.  Insurance premiums are going up.  There is talk of big cuts at school.  I think I'm safe but I have no senority so....

Last week our esteemed congress got into a pissing contest between Republicans and Democrats and almost got to a point where they were going to let the government shut down.  To the point where our military would not be paid after about a week.  Are they friggin kidding me?  How about we pay the military and not pay them?   What planet do these morons live on?  They did pass a temporary stopgap deal and our government is still in business for now.

Today our Prez had some info for us on how big the deficit is and about us borrowing money from China.  He spoke of cuts in transportation, education and fostered fears of cuts in medicare, medicaid and social security.  I did not necessarily get his solution although, best I can tell, it has something to do with change.

I have a couple of budget suggestions.  No one will listen but what the heck.

1.  People have to work for welfare.   I know there are disabled people who need a hand and there are times when others need a hand too.  But most are taking handouts and they need to be given only a hand up.   It worked for FDR and can work now.  Cut the transportation?     Why?  Need a pothole fixed?  Bridge rebuilt?  We are already paying able bodied people.  We need to just give the able bodied person the location so they can go out and earn that check.

2.  Instead of even thinking ever again about not paying our military,  how about we bring our troops home?   I understand the 9/11 argument but we are going to have to figure out that we can no longer be every savior in every situation.    If the people in the middle east want to blow each other off the planet, why are we trying to stop them?    Our troops are spread too thin.  I want them home.  I want to feel safe in our country and I want the money we spend over there used over here for minor things like education and most of all I want our troops home, out of harm's way.

Given a little more thinking, I think I could come up with more.   Just waiting for the call asking my opinion.

No comments: