Friday, December 24, 2010

It's Christmas Eve

And I am sad.

I miss my family.  I miss the excitement of Christmas Eve.  We'd wait til supper was over and the dishes done and would turn off the TV and open presents.  Then we'd play games and eat junk and laugh.  I miss that a lot.

Tonight I worked til 11.   I have to work tomorrow, Christmas day from 10-7.  The fact that the store is open is seriously wrong but I guess the almighty dollar is important.  We were busy all evening.  I mean, there were people who I can only assume had just tonight started their Christmas shopping.  They came to the counter with the last, ugliest, broken toys and paid cash.  I can only assume they got paid today and could only do it tonight.  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.  And I am amazed by the crap people will buy!!    And the amount of $ they spend on candy and stocking stuffers, etc.  Stuff they could have probably gotten at Walmart for half the price.    I've been really lucky I know because I've seen that times are hard but I have always  tried to think ahead so it did not all hit at once.  And I make some presents.  And I don't think that a kid needs everything that passes in front of their eyes.  A lot of young parents need to learn the age old rule:   They would rather play with a box.

And a homeless man who had not had a shower in a while came in and wanted to buy candy with his Lone Star card and it would not go through for him.  We had a huge line and we kept trying but it would not go through.  I felt sorry for him...the machine told him to give me the card and I tried to make it work but he was seriously afraid I was not going to give it back.  My purse was in my locker or I'd have paid for his candy.  I mean, its Christmas and he wanted candy.  I wanted to cry for him.   Why did no one in line step up for him?  Could they have not put back one of the stupid toys and do something nice for a man who had lost everything.  Granted, I don't know his story but he was not drunk or trying to buy beer.  He wanted candy!!

Boy oh boy this is rambling...I'm tired and sad...but the above brings up another question.  Our illustrious city council is trying to pass a curfew for downtown so the homeless people will not hang out at the library.  Apparently just as they drove the poor out of north Overton with no thought of where they'd go, they think the homeless will disappear if there is a curfew.  Why no plan as to what to do with them?  Idiots.

And lastly, God willing, this is the last time I will ever have to work on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you have a great 2011. I really enjoy reading your blog! Your story about the homeless man touched me; it is heartbreaking that the true meaning of Christmas has escaped so many!
I think we need to be reminded of this scripture:
Heb 13:2
Dont forget to be kind to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels unaware!

Ruth said...

Billie, I would have stepped up and paid for the candy...And it makes me sad that you miss your family. There's nothing more I can say...

sneakers57 said...

I know you would have Ruth. I have amazing friends and you stepping up would not have surprised me at all!!