Sunday, January 11, 2015

Weekend of old friends

I reconnected on Facebook recently with a friend from high school and on Saturday we met for lunch and had a nice visit.  Back when I was a sophomore in high school I met this person who also lived across the creek from us.  Our parents were old friends but we had never met.  I actually only remember one time when she was in our house, right before I started school and although she mentioned me coming to her house, I never actually remembered that.  We rode the bus together most days and she was one grade ahead of me but I truly never considered us friends no enemies.  I was pretty much ignored.  I went to a small school where the people had been together most of their lives and while they never made fun of me or put gum in my hair or threw rocks at me like others had done when I tried to fit in at other schools after we moved to Texas, I was not exactly accepted either.  They were always kind.  But while my friend talked about how much fun she had with all her friends and parties and slumber parties, I never saw high school that way.  And in the long run, it pretty much shaped me as a loner who truly cares little about what others think.  And that is not necessarily a bad thing.  I have a couple of people that I worry about being in their late 50's who long for high school and that perplexes me.  I did enjoy my time with my friend though.

Then today, I had breakfast with John's parents and it hit me that as John is retiring this year and they live in Minnesota and they are over 80 years old that this may be the last time I ever see them and that made me sad.  I am very fond of both.  I guess we'll see.

I am  at a stage where those leaving seem to outnumber the ones coming and I hate that.


No comments: