Friday, December 26, 2014

Loaning Money

I watch a lot of judge shows because first, it's entertaining and sadly, I think it's a portrait of the generations coming behind us.

Today,  there was a case where an older woman loaned a classmate she'd just met money and the classmate is claiming it was a gift.  She was never supposed to give it back.  She said she felt sorry for the woman who loaned her the money because she had no friends so apparently it makes the woman feel loved to be taken advantage of.  Luckily, the bitchy ingrate signed a promissary note and she lost.

While I think these people are idiots for loaning money to people they don't even know, I have to say I have loaned money to a "friend" that I'd known for a long time.   I do know that loaning money to someone is the fastest way to lose a friend but I trusted this person and we signed a note.  She and her husband sat in my living room crying that they could not even afford groceries.  At first, she wanted to borrow a credit card but I was at least smart enough to not be that stupid.  I asked how much they needed and she told me and I was stunned.  I normally would not have that money to even loan but I'd just been paid out for a burglary claim. And she knew it.  They both signed the note that it would be paid back in 12 months.

I finally got a payment after 14 months after I asked about it and told them I needed something...then dribbles for a couple more months...and finally, 2 1/2 years later I got the rest and that was only because they got a small inheirtance and I knew it.  She had told me when she got the money I was their first stop.  And after asking several times, they finally paid in full.  And I have not talked to her since.  I message her and try to call and get no response. I think she figured out I was no longer useful because she would never use me again.

I can't really change who I am and will always look to help someone out but next time someone tells me they have no groceries we will take a trip to the grocery store. And we're good if you need lunch money.  Don't ask for anything more.

No comments: