Friday, November 15, 2013

Baylor


The first football game I ever saw in person, above a high school level, was the Texas Tech-Baylor game in 1974.  A doctor who had a hunting lease at the ranch had box seats season tickets and gave them to us.  It was not my dad’s thing but he and I drove up to see the game because I wanted to come.  And boy oh boy I was impressed.  The stadium, the 50 yard line (only time ever I think), the game, the spirit, the band.  It all sealed my Texas Tech future.  Oh, yeah, there was the school part…!    I remember it was Veterans day weekend and the band did a patriotic show and I thought it was great!  I don’t remember who won…

This weekend I am headed for Arlington to see the same game.  Now someone above my level has decided that Tech never again gets to go to Waco and Baylor isn’t coming here…now it’s a Dallas shootout.  It’s all about money of course but it also gets me a road trip so I guess it’s good.  I don’t like losing home games and Lubbock revenue to Dallas but I obviously don’t hate it too much.  This time I will meet my friend Holly from my college days and her daughter Lindsey and we are wearing our “our coach is hotter than your coach” shirts like triplets and we will be at Cowboys Stadium instead of the Jones.  And we will eat somewhere fun and stay in a cool hotel.  I guess, technically, I have come up in the world.    And our hopes for a win are a wing and a prayer but a good time will be had by all. 

I guess I’ve come up in the world but that first game, with my daddy, will live in my heart forever.

 

No comments: