Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hill Street Blues and Capt Furillo

As many of you know, I am a huge Netflix fan and I tend to watch a lot of old TV shows more than the movies. Back in 1981 (I had to look it up) NBC ran the first "ensemble" drama, 'Hill Street Blues'.  It was forward thinking for it's time, even if Lucy Bates did have to wear a skirt uniform.  She was the only named female character although there were a couple of other women visible.  Undercover officers had long hair and tight jeans and facial hair and Mick Belker (Bruce Weicz) allegedly bit people.  Amusing guest stars included the actor who played  Douglas Neidemier from 'Animal House' in an occasional roll as an officer, David Caruso as the leader of the Irish gang and Dennis Franz of 'NYPD Blue' fame as a precursor of Andy.  And Captain Frank Furillo was played by Daniel J Travanti.   Capt F had a shrewish ex wife played by the creator's real wife and a hot girl friend public defender played by the gorgeous Veronica Hamel.   His crew also included an token Hispanic lt, a nutso swat team leader, a wimpy police negotiator and a wise old sgt who called him Francis.   I enjoyed the show when it was on and even though I've only watched the first 5 episodes again, I liked it this time too.

After I watch anything movie or tv wise, I normally go to IMDB to check out the stars...after 30 years, if they are still alive, what they look like, etc.   That brings me to my Daniel J Travanti observations.   He is alive, 71 years old, never married, rumored gay, a recovering alcoholic who has had a slow and steady career.   I always liked the actor.   I have deep sadness for gay actors of that generation...being out would have ruined his career (if it's true and I don't care).   So he had to hide who he was.  I read an interview where he called his alcoholism a "disease of loneliness and secrecy".    What a sad, sad statement.

I'm not gay but I have friends who are and I'm ok with that.  It's none of my business who any of my friends sleep with.  I work really hard to accept people for who they are, without judgment.  I don't always succeed but I try.  And I don't care if DJT is gay...but am sad if he had to lead less of a life because of it.   I always think of 'Brokeback Mountain' and of both characters but especially Heath Ledger's Ennis who had to live the rest of his life without love (except for daughters) when he lost Jack.   It is the saddest thing I can think of.

Boy, that was a trail from Hill Street to Brokeback.   I have a strange mind sometimes.

No comments: