Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Wizard of Oz

When I was a little girl, once a year, on a Sunday night, Danny Kaye would come on NBC and introduce 'The Wizrard of Oz' .  The next thing we knew, Dorothy was singing 'Over the Rainbow' and mean Miss Gulch was taking Toto to the sheriff and the house was flying through the air.  Then a fact that I never knew until I was grown up is that once Dorothy got over the rainbow, the movie became a color movie instead of black and white.  That was probably because we only had a black and white tv til I was grown up.

As a little girl  with a boy's name, I was teased and, at the time, did not like my name so much.  I did eventually outgrow the hate.   One thing that made me feel better about my name is that Glinda, the Good Witch of the North was played by Billie Burke and she was gorgeous.  That Sunday night was a night where it was ok to be a Billie.

And was I the only person who was scared of the flying monkeys?   They always looked very mean.

And I always wanted shiny red shoes.

Can you guess that it was on tv tonight?

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Billie, since my dad was a minister, we were in church every Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday nights and any other night the doors were open. Consequently, I never saw 'The Wizard of Oz' until I was married!!!! I think the understanding God I know would have been fine with me staying him ONE Sunday evening to watch this wonderful movie as a child!?